As emphasized earlier, Loop will only be successful if settings are as accurate as possible. It is best to confirm all settings while in OPEN Loop mode.
Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner is another great reference for understanding some of the guiding principles in pump therapy.
Below are the most important concepts summarized:
Basal Rate Testing
- Always confirm your basal rates first
- Basal rates should keep your BGs steady in the absence of other influences (such as food, medications, etc)
- Requires an appropriate basal insulin dose for proper evaluation
- Has two components that need to be evaluated separately
- a bolus dose for meal coverage (“insulin-to-carb ratio”) should return your BGs to target after a meal
- a bolus dose for correction for high BG’s (“sensitivity / correction factor”) should be the amount one unit of insulin drops your BGs without other influences