As emphasized earlier, Loop will only be successful if settings are as accurate as possible. It is best to confirm all settings while in OPEN Loop mode.
Steady’s Guide to Pumping section Evaluating Settings and this blog post are great resource for fine tuning your settings.
Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner is another great reference for understanding some of the guiding principles in pump therapy.
Below are the most important concepts summarized:
Basal Rate Testing
- Always confirm your basal rates first
- Basal rates should keep your BGs steady in the absence of other influences (such as food, medications, etc)
- Requires an appropriate basal insulin dose for proper evaluation
- Has two components that need to be evaluated separately
- a bolus dose for meal coverage (“insulin-to-carb ratio”) should return your BGs to target after a meal
- a bolus dose for correction for high BG’s (“sensitivity / correction factor”) should be the amount one unit of insulin drops your BGs without other influences