Walking down the grocery aisles can often become a tall order. The expertise among food manufacturers in luring consumers towards their products makes the task of shopping just as draining as trying to eat well.
Shopping requires calculated trade-offs between taste, nutrition, price, and convenience, which often makes it particularly difficult to eat nutritiously.
Grocery shopping with a list is one tool that may help navigate complicated food marketing environments.
A few benefits of a shopping list include
- Limits impulse purchases
- Can structure meals and eating habits
- Enables the purchase of various food groups to create balanced and nutritious meals and snacks
Personalize the below list by adding or removing sections based on your nutritional needs.
Here are a few ways to simplify the process
- Keep a dry erase board in the kitchen for an ongoing list, snap a picture and you’re ready to shop
- Pen and paper. Keep the paper visible in the kitchen to add and remember to take with you.
- Notes on your phone. Excellent way to always have your list handy. Share with other household members so they can add and participate.
- Explore grocery list apps such as Mealime, AnyList and OurGroceries
Note: Some food groups will naturally have a combination of macronutrients such as Legumes (carbs + protein) or cheese (protein + fat)
Additional tips for shopping well
- Set aside time to review your list as well as time to shop
- Never shop or plan when Hungry!
- Pre plan weekly meals OR shop for ingredients and plan meals based on the ingredients you have
- Keep the list as simple or as creative as you like!
- Start by shopping the outside isles - fresh produce, fruits, dairy/ dairy substitutes, meats
- Periphery has its pitfalls! Bakery section and beverages right ahead!
- Make your way to the middle isles next - pantry items whole grains, canned beans or fish, nuts
- Don’t shy away from frozen options! Especially non starchy vegetables.
- Learn the facts - Read the nutrition labels! Check, ponder and pick what’s best for you!