There are many different medications to treat diabetes. Medications can be used alone or in combination. They can also be used in conjunction with insulin.
If you are started on a diabetes medication, know your medication will change over time just as your diabetes changes.
The below list is an overview of the different types of medications and their mechanism of action.
- Always take medications as prescribed
- Take medications at the right time; some medications are to be taken before a meal and others before bed
- If you miss a dose, do not take an extra dose
- Do not take medications past their expiration date
- If you start a new medication, let your Endocrinologist or CDCES know, as many medications can affect your diabetes