The plate method is an easy way to serve well-balanced meals.
- Divide your 9” plate as shown above
- Fill half your plate with non-starchy vegetables first
- Fill ¼ of your plate with lean protein
- Fill ¼ of your plate with carbohydrates
- A serving of fruit or cup of milk can be eaten with the meal or saved for a snack
Fresh fruits/vegetables, legumes, and whole grains are preferred for their nutritional value and milder impact on blood glucose levels.
Proteins and especially fats can delay the absorption of carbohydrates, while alcoholic beverages may contain unexpected carbohydrates but also cause low blood glucose levels.
Image from The Institute for Family Health